Emma H

Emma J

Labels

3 Oct 2010

Meryl Streep muses...

I watch a lot of movies. I love to disappear into a film or tv series so that I don't even notice the time flying by. Sometimes, all this watching and absorption is just a healthy desire for entertainment, education or inspiration...quite often though I suspect it is more about me trying to stick my head in the sand and not face up to the things I need to get done, and the things I want to achieve.
As a result, I have recently tried to cut back on my viewing behaviour and the inevitable sideline of celebrity gossip.
Meryl Streep however merits a slip back into my imaginary film-fuelled world-
not only have I enjoyed most of the films she's chosen to be in, I always feel when I am watching her or reading an interview of hers that I am in the presence of intelligence, humour and integrity. This speech that I found of a commencement speech she gave at Barnard Women's College only confirms that. She has some interesting things to say about acting, women and Hollywood.
And she talks about our desire for fantasy, pretending and stories which I always feel so strongly-
desires that I believe are also played out through clothing and design.
I feel like that's part of what Em H. and I are trying to do here-
underline the importance of design but also find ways to explore it and indulge in it with integrity.

No comments: