Emma H

Emma J

Labels

28 Nov 2009

Lizzie Thomas

Went to an Open House last night where Brighton based artists display/sell their work out of some generous person's home. Last night was the first one (yes, Christmas is here again) and I have fallen in love. I'm about to move into my newly renovated flat (thank god - it's been two months sleeping on a friends floor!) and have dreamt of a large black and white piece of art to go above my bed. Never thought I'd find one in my budget and now that I have I am bloody umming and ahhing about it! What is wrong with me?!?

Anyway, the piece in question is by the lovely Lizzie Thomas a recent graduate in Wood, Metal, Ceramics and Plastics, from Brighton University. Her work has been featured in Harper's Bazaar and on (one of my fav blogs) Design* Sponge among others and she recently exhibited at London's Flow Gallery. We're expecting big things from her and here I am worrying about parting with my money!

I tried to take sneaky phone pics but my camera is rubbish. The piece is a giant forest of intricate white pine trees - which Lizzie craftily created by cutting through her sketch book with a band saw (love it!) - mounted on a black background, in a white frame. My reservation - my new flat is white - white walls, white sheets, white tiles, white kitchen, white bathroom, just decided to paint my wooden bed white today. it's all white and i'm scared my first ever art purchase will get lost in the whiteness! Will let you know what I decide!

There weren't any pics of 'my' piece on her website but her are some examples of her work.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Those that entered the house found themselves in the thick of a forest. I - Drypoint and Aquatint Etching Print. Limited edition.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
They said a king once ruled the forest

To view more from Lizzie click here.

1 comment:

Nico said...

I think it would look smoking in the all white apartment...get it!